Anyone Want To Talk The Force Awakens?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Herr Klugscheisser, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Not to go into spoilers because I'm sure many haven't yet seen it, BUT for those of you who did what did you think?

My biggest concern about this movie was not, 'Will it be good?' My concern was, 'Will it be a good Star Wars movie? Will it have heart." Kinda hard to explain if you don't know what I mean. I so wanted to feel like my 8 year old self like when I watched the original in 1977. I will admit my eyes welled up at least twice, but from pure joy, not sorrow (and not at the part you might think).

I appreciated all the nods to the old, even though I thought they went a little over board at times and it was a bit too familiar. All excited for the next two which I hope will explain some things. It's silly people losing their shit over the unexplained stuff.

My only real problem was the very end. I don't like how it was shot and I know how I would have handled it (shorter and more close ups). Those long shots took away from the impact of the scene.
  2. LeBabouin Papio anubis

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    The one and only Starwars i enjoyed was Mel Brooks' Spaceballs: Yoghurt has the Schwartz!
    [​IMG]
  3. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    I would so want to see that, recently picked up Spaceballs on Blu-Ray.
  4. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Going to see it for a third time with my mother tonight. She took me to see the original back in '77. Thanks mom!
  5. neillomax Captain

Contributions:
    3 times? you need to talk to Dr. Phil.
  6. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Planing on a forth when I can use a free pass that I earned at my local cinema.
  7. LeBabouin Papio anubis

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    o_O That's definetely the dark side of the Schwartz.
  8. cardevsan El Presidente

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Programming
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    4th time??
    You need to Talk to Maury :)

At least you will know the Baby Daddy..
  9. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Finally went yesterday for the 3rd time. Mom liked it, but liked the droids and movie pacing of the original more.

BB-8 purring? Droid please!

I still hate the design of BB-8, but I understand why it needed to be that way.

Yes I need help. I need help telling people I have enough Star Wars related stuff and don't need/want anymore.
  10. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    4th time last night. I may need an intervention.
    [OTD]The_1_Soup_Nazi likes this.
  11. [OTD]The_1_Soup_Nazi Corporal

Contributions:
    Mental Health Ahhhh !!!!:D
  12. DustyBones Corporal

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    ****Spoilers**** (Some What)

I just saw it for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind going back and watching a second time.
    Definitely has that "Star Wars" feel to the movie. I liked the two new characters, Ray and Fin although I feel that they didn't have enough backstory. Ray is such a bad ass she really doesn't need much help trough the movie; the writers made her too OP in my opinion.
    The bad guy I thought was cool at first but halfway through the movie he's just kind of a screw up and looses his menacing quality. I feel like the prequels had much better villains.
    The action was great and I must admit I squealed like a girl when each of the original cast shows up.

There was too much homage to A New Hope in this movie and the story nearly is the same.
    They find a droid with secret information. They're on the run from storm troopers. They come across an old man connected to their past and mentors them through the movie. They plan a rescue mission. The old man mentor dies by the main antagonist as the heroes watch. They fly into the 'bigger death star' and blow it up.
    Ray is the new Luke
    Fin is the new Han
    Han Solo is the new Obi Won
    Luke will be the new Yoda
    and Chewy is Chewy.
    There is even a new emperor that is just ridiculous looking.
  13. Herr Klugscheisser No longer supporting WarGaming

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    I agree. However, Disney is not known for making art house films and will play it safe and rake in the money. Think of it as a soft reboot of sorts with, remember this, remember that, him/her, this thing and doesn't this all feel familiar? We'll see if they can up the story ante in the following films. Obviously there is more to Rey, Finn and Kylo/Ben which needs to be explored and extrapolated on.

There is too much to take in with one viewing, and don't waste your time with 3-D. I just wish it didn't have the frantic pacing (like what JJ did with Star Trek).... no time to reflect/absorb what was just learned, we need to get to the next action sequence/set piece.
  14. barney81 Corporal

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Abrams did the same thing he did with Star Trek, Copy and Paste. What a total hack job he is! "A new force hope awakens"
  15. barney81 Corporal

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    JJ failbrams copy and paste job, like he svrwed up ST.