On Politics and Religion

Discussion in 'Rants-N-Stuff' started by Cyborg, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Cyborg 3A5UX5

Contributions:
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    Time to get political and religious for a moment. The two great conversations you don't want to get into because it usually ends with an argument. But what the hell ( pun intended ), I love a good argument.

Lately there's been a lot of both in our presidential run-up. I believe most of have seen or heard all the Rev. Wright and Senator Obama's speeches and sermon snippets over the last few weeks. The media has had a field day and opponents are taking every thing they can get out of this and running with it. But in the end does it really matter?

Before I go into the comments by Wright and the rebuttals by Obama, I'm going to first let you inside my own political and religious life for a bit. I was born a child out of wed lock. My mother and father had a disagreement so to say about my birth. Thankfully my mother has a strong will and I'm here today to write this up. But still at that day and age when I was born, and particularly in my family's church, bastard children and their mothers were looked down on. While nothing was said directly there were certainly instances of being treated like a second class person. Don't get me wrong, there were a few members who I loved dearly and accepted me without prejudice. Unfortunately one of them was not the pastor of the church. We were all god's children, but some of us were children of sin. Most children in our church are baptized shortly after their birth, in my case I didn't get baptized until I was in my teens when a new pastor took over the congregation. Although most of them have now passed away, there are people of the church who don't speak to me unless I initiate the conversation. And I quite honestly feel that the only reason they talk to me then is because my great-grandmother was a strong leader in the church. As some of you might know from my posts here, I am an Atheist. Quite a large part of my lack of belief is due to my early church years. That doesn't mean I don't respect religion, it can be a very powerful force for good when followed, just that I myself don't have one.
    On the subject of politics I'm a very center of the road kind of guy. I have very liberal views as well as very conservative views. I have a very strong view that people should have social services like health care. But I also think the federal government should be minimal and the states should be the ones to run those services. I do not believe in abortion, probably due to my own near miss, but then again I don't think the federal government has the right to say who can and who can't have one. A case of a teen getting pregnant after an weekend long fling is a lot different from a woman who was tied up and raped. To unilaterally say no is wrong, but on the same token to unilaterally allow is also the wrong thing to do. Either way I don't feel it's the governments job to worry about those issues. That should be left to the doctors, pastors, and families. The doctors should be saying 'this is your own doing now live with it', the pastors should be guiding their congregation to make wholesome decisions, and the parents need to start 'parenting' better. When the federal government gets too big and starts regulating what we can and can't do it's relieving the parents of doing their jobs and ultimately we start letting the system raise our children. This is the same tie in as Jack Thompson and video games. The more government tells us what we should be doing, the less thinking we do for ourselves and the problem will only get worse. I'll end my little rant about abortion there. I simply wanted to show that I'm very much on the center line when it comes to politics in America. Also I wanted to tie Jack Thompson, rape, and video games together ***GTA4 available in stores now!!!***

Now to go back to the Rev. Wright issue. I'm not a supporter of Obama, nor am I a supporter of Clinton or McCain. Each has some good points and some bad points in my mind and I've yet to decide who I'll vote for come November. But I do feel that this whole mess about Obama and Wright has gone way out of control and is taking away from the issues I want to hear about. Pennsylvania just had it's primaries and I decided not to bother voting. So much has been made recently of issues that have nothing to do with the problems in America that I was just plain disgusted. 'He's been a member of the church for 20 years how can he not have the same views' - I'm technically a member of my church still and I can definitely say I don't share the same views. 'He's been preaching for 20 years how could he not have been in church to hear them' - just how many time do you think I've been in my church even though I've been a 'member' my whole life? 'How could he have a pastor like this minister his wedding, baptize his children, and how can he stay with that church' - My family went to the funeral of my old pastor and have been going to the same church now for 5 generations. All this issue comes down to is an excuse by the politicians running for office and the news media to ignore the real problems and generate sound bites that help get their faces on TV and generate ratings. Obama is no more responsible for Wright's comments than McCain is for Hagee's or Hillary is for Bill's comments. All this is simply distraction. There are plenty of people in my life that I know who are racist ( both white and black ), antisemitic, anti-gay, or just plain a-holes. Does this mean I feel the same way - no. But politics in America today has degraded to the point that our slipping economy, 2 wars, and a deteriorating infrastructure has given away to guilt by association theatrics. Fox hammers home the Wright issue, MSNBC drags out the Hagee quotes, and everyone is just waiting to jump on the Monica bandwagon if Hillary wins. How is any of this going to help our schools, help gas prices, help people losing their homes, help our troops?

I guess I'll wrap up this rant by simply saying this - politics as usual.

Now discuss, but please be civil and respect others opinions.
  2. twl_viper Supreme Commander

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Mapper, Scripting
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    I'll start out with religion - I consider myself "Independent Agnostic", I don't believe in church or religion as I see these as divisive method of social steering of peoples faith to gain power over others. I do believe in God and I don't see any reason why anyone needs to conform the specifics of what I believe about God to theirs or visa versa.ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    On politics - I am what I call an "Extreme Moderate". Like Cyborg I find myself in the middle of the road, I am disgusted with the left and the right so I cling to the middle and point out the onslaught of stupidity flowing heavy from each direction. I believe moderation is an intelligent consideration of left and right views resulting in a thoughtful balance of the two. Extreme left views and extreme right views are fine, but the inherent stupidity that results from extreme blind and one-sided viewpoints should never be the basis of a governing body, our current administration for example.<O:p></O:p>
    On the candidates - I liked Ron Paul, too bad. Then I liked Mccain, very much as he seemed moderate up to the day bush endorsed him. Now he’s on all fours with his pants belt resting on the inside of his knees, touting the same old songs of the current administration. Too bad. I liked the Clinton administration very much, but all I see in Hillary is an angry, whinny and petty person who is a bad actor. I am left with Obama who I think has impressed me the most since the bush endorsement of Mccain.<O:p></O:p>
    I have also heard the things the reverend Wright has said. Out of context some of it sounds terrible and a lot of it was funny and amusing, I like him actually. However, I don't care who he is - and he doesn't speak for Obama so I don't like to see it dwelled upon.<O:p></O:p>
    One of the big problems not discussed is the media. You have the idiot right sided FOX and the boring leftist BBC etc. etc. I can't watch the news any more and get an unbiased view of current events.:shakeshead:
  3. neillomax Captain

Contributions:
    Viper I can't see your post. Too dark.

The Reverend Wright thing. I'm white but not a bigot..maybe.. ?? . Having said that, I know "one" when I see "one". ( insert "n" word there ) Wright, Al Sharpton, and Farracahn ( don't know how to spell his name ) IMO, all fit into that category.
    Al Sharpton because I live on the east coast and saw that moron on the news during much of the 70's and 80's and any time he could stick it to ol' whitey he did..... until it came back to bite him in the ass during the Towana Brawley thing. I don't like that F%$##%$R

Farracahn because he is such an anti american communist son of a bitch, at the very least he should be booted out of this country.

Wright, I guess he speaks for himself. What a Friggin moron. Guess I am a bigot........ too bad !

The abortion thing. Nobody, IMO, has the right to judge any woman in regards to abortion. It must be an awful decision for a woman to have to make without there being any outside pressure what so ever. Should be between her health care provider and her, nobody else.
    All options should be made available to her and without prejudice.

Religion...... I believe what I want to believe. I don't feel I need to prove anything one way or another. But I do abhor people on "news" channels or any mainstream media or anywhere else telling me what I should think inre to it.
    I don't goto church but in some sense I do have religeon. I also think that sometimes you get what you ask ( pray ) for.
  4. twl_viper Supreme Commander

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Mapper, Scripting
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    can't do anything about that M8, but it's been reported, thx. highlight it and you can see it.