Who killed PC gaming ?

Discussion in 'Game Engines' started by neillomax, Jul 10, 2009.

1. neillomax Captain

Contributions:
    "Before anyone gets up in arms about this, we know for a fact that PC gaming is evolving right now and not dying off. There's a well established indie scene on PCs and casual games have become a booming business."

http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/opinion-who-killed-pc-gaming/
  2. 211476 Sergeant

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Mapper, Modeler, Textures, Pure Gamer, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    i find that odd, I don't even own any current consoles all I have is a Dreamcast
  3. Sor Who made who?

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Pure Gamer, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    1) DRM and piracy
    2) Microsoft
    3) Hardware developers as in 'compatibility' (Parts or just software like PhysX)

Once PC gaming has almost died out, the piracy industry will just move their business to the console games.
    Like they're already doing now.
  4. michaelhoffman Private

Contributions:
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    I have confidence in PC gaming. I still admire PC gaming regardless of also owning a 360 and PS3. I enjoy making new maps myself for games as well. The PC gaming industry is in fact far from dying.
  5. TurtleMonkey Private

Contributions:
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    consoles ruing gaming :I.
  6. Lamron Staff Sergeant

Contributions:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Who/What is killing PC gaming?

Let's think....

> $50+ non-refundable games that won't run fresh out of the box. You can't expect the average user to spend hours searching Google for complicated work-arounds or hope for a patch to come out six months later.

> The publishers all say, "The game worked fine on our test computer, therefore any difficulties must be due to YOUR hardware and aren't our problem". People buy consoles for the same reason they buy Macs, they don't want to worry about incompatible hardware.

> The game wasn't developed for the PC, but ported (badly) at the last minute. Sometimes the ports are so bad that the menus still have references to controller buttons that don't exist. If the game doesn't take advantage of the superior controls and graphics the PC has, why bother?

> LIES, LIES, LIES. They spend months promising us features and options that are mysteriously missing at the release date. That's enough to make anyone pirate-test all games before they consider buying them.

> Moddability. The numbers are shrinking, but there are still people buying and playing MOH because of the mods. The COD4 system wasn't too bad either. The auto-download gave you LOTS of flexibility for server/client mods. And don't insult us by telling us that a game can't be modded. We know better than that, the developers must have used something when they made the game. Give us those tools and documentation.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Herr Klugscheisser Drinking and Tanking. Perfect together.

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    When I buy a PC game I don't want to go to the config menu and be shown a picture of an Xbox controller. Thankfully I wasted only $10 on a game because it was a few years old. Also, I never finished it because the game would either crash or not even load with no patches in sight. Better yet is when the buttons are hard coded and can't be changed. WTF?!

How about fewer demos for the big name titles?
  8. Lancelon Private

Contributions:
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    I think PC gaming is not died but after the inventions of X box and PlayStation PC gaming is much effected.
  9. MainFrame Ghost in the shell

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Modeler, Textures, Support
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    To many upgrades and software issues to become obsolete several months down the road dealing with PC's. Nowdays the consoles are an all around affordable PC,entertainment,gaming system that last for years. Which leaves PC's as the testers for pushing the graphic limits to be ported to consoles...... With all this cheap tech Im back to the console gaming as the graphics and community is adequate and spend money huge f$@#ing HD monitors and surround sounds
  10. neillomax Captain

Contributions:
    now I'm glad I missed your birth day.
  11. Baron_Greenback Gunnery Sergeant

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Mapper, Modeler, Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    EA killed PC gaming. :bigrin:
  12. MainFrame Ghost in the shell

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    :suspect: turd...........
  13. vuurvent Sergeant

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    xbox did, they made xbox back in 2002 just for the online gaming to make it happen that people could play together on a console. All xbox games were made for the multiplayer, but there were also SP only games, but the console itself was ment for MP. They dropped the console pretty fast, and in 2006 they came with the xbox 360 and that was much more improved. I think that killed pc gaming to. There are still people play pc, i play pc for mohspearhead, and the newer games i play on my xbox, because i like using a controller and you dont have to upgrade ur console always, like you have to do on the pc. Thats great.
  14. barney81 Corporal

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Scripting
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    Sor piracy is not killing pc gaming, infact it could be its greatest ally.
  15. MainFrame Ghost in the shell

Contributions:
    Specialties:
    Processing:
    Graphics:
    PREMIUM
    I Donated
    To many issues...... with this topic its dead any way.